Tuesday 1 November 2016

Hello November

How come it's November already? Where has all the time gone? I have been here for two months now and Bilbao starts to feel more and more like home. I think about Finland a lot but now I haven't been so homesick as I was at some point. Surprisingly it helps when I think about how cold it is there.

Things I miss about Finland:

  • Food: salmiakki candy, rye breadthiskarjalanpiirakka, Finnish chocolate, milk
  • Faster traffic lights
  • Shops open also on Sundays
  • Sauna
  • Cycling
  • Snow
  • Finnish nature
  • Family and friends obviously
  • Guaranteed warm water from the shower
  • School lunch (2,60€) and school lunch at 11.30am
Things I don't miss about Finland:
  • Cold weather and slush
  • More expensive prices (1€ of a glass of white wine in a bar in Finland? NEVER)
  • Darkness
  • Drunkards at the streets
  • Colder people
  • Complaining (yes I admit, I do that a lot!)
  • Swedish language and using it at work at times




During these recent weeks I have visited Guggenheim museum for free, watched football in the bar Casco Viejo, visited the Biscay Foral Delegation palace and just been enjoying the last rays of the sun. Above you can see picture of the palace. It's the seat of the executive branch of government of Biscay. Very beautiful building.


And how is my Spanish going? Before coming here when I made the Erasmus language test my level was B1 but in the exam in the university it was B2.1. Strange. In Finland I didn't speak Spanish out loud almost at all but I was writing a lot and my writing was obviously better because of that. 



I had studied Spanish for for years, in the adult high school and then in the university. It really helped a lot that I knew Spanish before coming here, many things would have been more difficult especially knowing that Spanish people don't speak so much English. After two months here I really noticed that I'm getting more and more fluent in speaking also. And what about Basque? Well, soon I can put it in my CV!

At the end I will put a really beautiful video which I found on Facebook. Look how beautiful the Basque country is!  

Euskadi - Basque Country from Jeffrey Alex Attoh on Vimeo.

Suomeksi: Miten voi olla jo marrasku? Mihin kaikki aika on mennyt? Olen ollut täällä kaksi kuukautta nyt ja Bilbao alkaa tuntua yhä enemmän kodilta. Ajattelen Suomea paljon mutta nyt ei ole ollut niin paljoa koti-ikävä mitä jossain vaiheessa oli. Yllättäen auttaa se ajatus kuinka kylmä Suomessa on...

Asioita joita ikävöin Suomesta:

  • Ruoka: salmiakki, ruisleipä, valmiissa marinadissa olevat kanasuikaleet, karjalanpiirakka, suklaa, maito
  • Nopeammat liikennevalot
  • Kaikki kaupat auki myös sunnuntaisin
  • Sauna
  • Pyöräily
  • Lumi
  • Suomalainen luonto
  • Perhe ja ystävät totta kai
  • Taattu lämmin vesi suihkusta
  • Kouluruoka (2,60€) ja että se on jo klo. 11.30
Asioita joita en ikävöi Suomesta:
  • Kylmä sää ja loska
  • Kalliimmat hinnat (1€ yhdestä valkoviinilasillisesta baarissa? EI KOSKAAN)
  • Pimeys
  • Kaduilla olevat juopot
  • Kylmemmät ihmiset
  • Valittaminen (myönnän kyllä, teen tätä itse paljon!)
  • Ruotsin kieli ja sen käyttäminen töissä joskus
Näitten viikkojen aikana olen vieraillut Guggenheimissa ilmaiseksi, katsonut jalkapalloa vanhankaupungin baarissa, vieraillut Baskimaan hallinnon palatsissa (ei hajuakaan mikä se on suomeksi) ja vain nauttinut viimeisistä auringonsäteistä. Palatsi oli todella kaunis.

Ja kuinka sujuu espanja? Ennen tänne tuloa kun tein Erasmus-kielitestin se osoitti tasokseni B1 mutta kouluni kokeessa tasokseni määräytyi B2.1, outoa. Suomessa en juuri puhunut espanjaa ääneen mutta kirjoitin sitä paljon ja totta kai sen vuoksi kirjoitustaitoni oli parempi. Opiskelin espanjaa neljä vuotta, aikuislukiossa ja sitten yliopistossa. Se todella auttoi että osasin espanjaa jo ennen tänne tuloa, muuten monet asiat olisivat olleet paljon hankalampia erityisesti kun tiedetään etteivät espanjalaiset oikein puhu englantia. Nyt kahden kuukauden jälkeen olen todella huomannut että myös puhuminen on paljon sujuvampaa. Ja entä baskin kieli? No, kohta voin laittaa sen CV:hen.

Lopussa oleva video on todella kaunis video jonka löysin Facebookista. Katsokaa kuinka kaunis Baskimaa on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment